Saturday, January 7, 2012

Llegamos a Nicaragua!!

Finalmente! Hemos llegado!
Finally, we have arrived! We made it with 6 enormous checked bags of gear and only one bad airport snafu. So I forgot that I packed a serraded knife in my carry on bag? woops. I saw it last minute and thought it might come in handy and just threw it in! That's not even the worse part. When security stopped me it was because of a bottle of lotion and perfume in my other carry on. I'm the one who said, "I'm really sorry about this in advance, it was an honest mistake, but if you check the side pocket of my backpack you'll find a knife." 
After I was stripped of my moisturizing and protecting capabilities we continued onward to our outgoing flight to Miami, to Nicaragua. Accompanying me on this trip is Phil Sheehey, the father of Maeve Sheehey, a member of the Ridgely Middle Soccer team. Although Phil and I know each other fairly well already we really got a chance to talk at our lunch in Miami where we sat down to kill time on our 5 hour layover and 3.5 hours later I look down at my watch shocked at how the conversation flew by! Did you know Phil has met Queen Latifa and Drew Barrymore- I'm sure he'd be dismayed to read this as the most sticking point of the conversation. Nevertheless, I discovered what I already knew to be true, that I am truely blessed to have such a great travel buddy in Phil Sheehey... a man who speaks less than a pocito of spanish and is as go-with-the-flow as they come!

We departed Miami for the quickest flight ever to Managua, Nicaragua. We loaded up all 5 massive gear bags off the luggage carosel, onto carts, off the carts, on to the xray machine, off the xray machine, onto the carts, off the carts again, into the truck and FINALMENTE, we got the bags to Sergios house! Sergio is my good friend and member of the church of Fe y Esperanza (Faith and Hope) here in Nicaragua. I had no idea I was staying with him and when I saw him at the airport to pick us up I was ecstatic. Sergio is fluent in english and spanish and Mike, our official host, is also fluent in both and they help with the language barrier. I've been practicing my spanish on Sergio for the past 6 hours and he's been incredibly patient with me :-)
Did I mention Phil is not staying with us? Way to throw someone who has never been to Nicaragua straight into the fire! It's the best way to start! Phil is staying with another member of the church, Lester, and his family and they don't speak a lick of english. Phil, has a little spanish cheat sheet, but doesn't speak much spanish. I'm looking forward to seeing him tomorrow to ask how it went! Last I left him he was trying to ask if he could take a shower. haha.
Nicarauga is amazing, the people are amazing... and although it may just be the polar opposite of home, it feels like home. The people are unbelievably loving and hospitable, my host family told me to call this "my home."
So here's the plan, we are meeting for church in the morning at 10am and then the pastor is coming back to Sergio's house where all the equipment is and we are going to talk about the layout of the camp for the week and organize all the gear for the kids. We are also going to talk about starting a new church soccer league in Managua starting with 4 teams- LTRC graciously donated 4 sets of 15 full uniforms (and 6 or 7 sets of uniforms for smaller teams). The church league will be a great way to keep kids in Managua out of trouble and more involved with the church. Finally, we are going to nail down the plan for our next trip down- itinerary and a list of other things we can provide- like medical care- hello any parents doctors? watch out, i'm going to recruit you for our next trip!

Monday: Drive to Somotillo (3 hours away) and meet with the kids from 15 different communities ro run a fun soccer camp and World Cup tournament Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. We'll drive back on Wednesday and Thursday afternoon we will have a game for all of the church youth that live in Managua. Then Friday morning fly out to Belize. Sounds like an amazing week! Great news is that I should have internet access most of the time so I can keep everyone updated at home!
The kids know we are coming and have already been briefed on sharing the equipment and that we are going to have a big tournament! I added one thing to remind the kids when we get there... Be nice to the referee! Nicaraugans are the most kind hearted people ever but .... Talk about tempers- I barely made it out alive last time I was down here and reffed all of the games.
Well, it's been a long travel day and I'm ready to crash... I think I'll slip on my headphones since on a Saturday night, where does everyone in the neighborhood go to party? Nowhere- they have the party right here in the neighborhood. lol. We've got some Latino music with some serious base rockin' next door.
Buenos Noches :-) Hasta manana!

No comments:

Post a Comment