Thursday, January 12, 2012

Greetings From Phil Sheehey!

I thought it was about time that I contributed to the blog beyond tales of my exploits with small dogs or my history with Queen Latifah. The following are my Top Ten memories of my 5 days in Nicaragua.

10. God was with us from the start - Ali was excused by the TSA officer for packing a knife just smaller than a machete. On the flight to Miami, I noticed that one of our soccer bags had been checked to Venezuela. Although I have never checked my baggage claim checks in the past, I did this time and the airline was able to reroute our bag of soccer balls to Nicaragua on our flight. Based on all of this, we knew we were in God's hands.
9. Nicaragua Time - A simple calculation... Just take any "planned" time and add 60-90 minutes. For those of you that work with me, please note that I am considered punctual in Nicaragua.
8. My adopted son and daughter - Mike, a missionary from the U.S. and a Florida Gator Alumni, chauffeured us all around all week, answered my stupid translation questions, and helped me every step of the way. Ali, my adopted 4th daughter, has challenged me to improve my soccer knowledge, my Spanish, and my ability to recruit more parents to participate in this trip next year. She is a "rock star" with the children of Nicaragua and a joy to travel with.
7. The "boys" from the Central Church (& Pastor Mario & Maria). Although I only understood about 20% of what they were saying, the "veterans" from the church were a blast to coach, travel, and enjoy breakfast, lunch, and dinner with.
6. La Familia de Lester - Lester's family was so gracious to me all week, letting me stay in Lester's room, feeding me, and welcoming me into their home. I can't thank them enough for their hospitality.
5. On the soccer fields of Nicaragua, I am "SeƱor Felipe" - The only place where I could fully communicate was on the fields of Western Nicaragua. Uno o dos (the coin flip), pelota o cancha (kick or choose your side), listo (ready?), blanco/rojo/ amarillo/gris ( the team colors for throw ins), ...  As in the states, it's not as important for a ref to be right as it is to be completely confident. This is particularly important when players a screaming at you in a language you don't understand well.
4. Rice for breakfast (and lunch and dinner) - I have eaten more rice and beans in 2012 than I did in the previous 10 years. With that said, I really haven't missed pizza, Starbucks, Miller Lite, ...
3.The 10 Passenger Pickup Truck - Its a little known fact that a Toyota Pickup Truck can seat 10 people. Holding on for dear life is far more important than wearing a seatbelt.
2. "Soak up the sun" - No doubt, the warm sun felt fabulous. Beyond that, the Nicaraguans constantly reminded me of the line from Cheryl Crow's song of that title; "it's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got." Most of the Nicaraguan's have only the basics, but their abundant joy and love were a constant reminder that the best things in life aren't things.
1. More than Futbol-  I learned quickly that my trip wasn't just about Futbol and certainly wasn't about me. The week was about family, joy, love, faith, and supporting each other. The winning Parish Team shared 3 pairs of shoes among 7 players (not cleats, shoes), wearing one shoe and going barefoot with the other. You can imagine that receiving a bag of cleats donated by Maryland Families was cherished by the boys.

I know I will be back next year and will be working hard to recruit other Lutherville Parents.. We can do alot to help here.
Best to Ali on the remainder of her adventures in Central America. I can't wait for her next blog.

-Phil Sheehey

No comments:

Post a Comment